“Pal Blade Company purchased the cutlery division on January 17, 1941 from Remington-Dupont which had been located at Bridgeport, Connecticut. Remington sold the cutlery department in order to utilize the existing Bridgeport plant space for the production of munitions,” believed for the production of the Model 1903 rifle for the British government.
“Pal leased a 100,000 square foot facility in Holyoke, Mass. located on the west side of Bigelow Street between Appleton and Cabot Streets. This building had been the A building of the Farr Alpaca Company. Interestingly enough, part of this building in the 1800s had been the home of the Henry Seymor Cutlery Company, makers of shears and scissors.”
“Removal of the machinery to Holyoke began on February 4, 1941 with the move scheduled to be completed within 30 days. By March 1st they planned to be in operation with two shifts employing 300 workers, many of them women. Plans were to have 450 employees within 3 months, and they were advertising that the company would be the largest cutlery manufacturing company in the United States. Full production was to begin in June, 1941.”
“At the time, Pal Blade also had factories in Plattsburg, New York, Montreal, Canada, Newfoundland and South America. Owners were brothers Abraham Mallman of Montreal and Joseph Mallman of New York.”
The information below was taken from the December 4, 1946 Holyoke Transcript-Telegram
“During World War 2, the plant was converted to make bayonets, sheath knives, and pocket knives for US forces. Following the war, the name was changed to the Pal and Personna Blade Co., Inc. Other company plants were located in Montreal, Canada, Plattsburg, New York, Barranquilla, Columbia and Buenos Aires, Argentina.”
“By December 1945 the plant had been converted to peace time products and expanded their product line to include many items which had been unavailable during the war and for which there was a large market. Under the Pal name they produced pocket knives, paring knives, slicing knives and kitchen utility items in the moderate price range. The Personna items included gift sets, carving sets, carving knives and kitchen knives in the higher price brackets.”
“Employment in 1946 reached 950 workers on two shifts. 7:00 AM to 4:45 PM (3:45 PM for the women workers) and another shift from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM. The plant worked 5 ½ days a week, closing at noon on Saturdays. At the time the plant operated on two floors of 90,000 square feet each. The first floor contained most of the assembly lines and production tables, while the basement was occupied by store rooms, a maintenance shop and one work room where paring knives were made. (Note – the building no longer exists)